Sunday, July 19, 2015

Pastel Project: TJs Bouquet Week 3

This week I started the finishing process to my painting I put in background color I detailed out flowers and leaves added more shadows added more detail so that it is virtually finished at this point.



Pastel is a rather frustrating subject to teach because there aren't any absolutes when it comes to color we are all limited by the colors that we have in our boxes so my best suggestion is to try to simulate the colors as best you can. For instance, in my background I used 5 different colors to create the background I had 3 very similar colors but different in value - light to dark - and then I used a blue and a dark purple to finish it off. You may only have 2 colors that are similar and one dark color so you are going to have to improvise for a lighter version you may have to use white or light cream color blended into it, then in the darker colors you may have to mix a dark blue with a dark brown or purple and if all else fails mix in a bit of black to deepen the color.

It is best if you test this on a separate piece of paper and not on what you're working on, you will be very upset with yourself if it doesn’t work the first time. Also learn to blend colors together using the chalk itself: put down one color and then near the edge of that color take your next color and blended into the first color you may have to go back with your finger and blend but you will get some very nice blends using this chalk on chalk technique.

Have your reference photo in front of you before you start, this is your guide.

In my background I had 3 teal colors: a light, medium, and a darker plus my dark blue and dark purple. Starting near the flowers with the lighter color, I colored in areas around my flowers and if I went over the fern or something else, I didn't worry about it, I can always put it back in later. I switched to the next darker color and starting just inside the outside edge of the first color, I started laying down the second color blending with the chalk as I laid the color in. I repeated that process with all of my colors until I got to the very darkest purple then I took my finger and blended from the lightest to the darkest occasionally wiping my finger off so that I wasn't dragging the colors too far into the next color but softening the blend so that it looks almost seamless.

I did a similar thing on the table starting with a lighter color, I used a very light lavender color, followed by a darker lavender/blue color, followed by an indigo blue and then a purple doing the same thing as I did above and then blending them lightly together with my finger.


I went back in and finished up details in my flowers and, once the background was done, I could go in and add ferns or fix any I smudged. I used light colors where they were against the dark so they stood out. I added in darks where I thought I needed them for contrast, looking at my photograph to help me find where I needed to add some dark. I also detailed some of the insides of those little flowers by adding little touches of dark around the center where you can see into the flowers, if you look at the photograph you will see little bits of dark between the petals of flowers. I also used reds to detail out the edges of those flowers. Lastly, I took a very light yellow and in places around the flowers and the leaves were I wanted to have a glow I added touches of this very light yellow.
 
Basically my painting is finished I will look at it for the next few days and see if there's anything else I need to add to it or would like to change but I could stop right here without too much trouble. You are going to need to get to the point where you feel that you are done, to finish your painting. Until then, keep painting and I will see you in class.



No comments:

Post a Comment