Saturday, July 22, 2017

Summer 2017 Pastel Class

Pastel Class Project: Summer Fun Week 3

This week was all about finishing up this project and one of the things I needed to figure out was how to tie the bottom of the painting with the top. What I came up with was to bring some of the same colors I used in the sky area up through the sand and even into the water.





I highlighted the tops of the track ruts and added shadows to the sides to give the tracks some depth but I also brought some of the sky color up into the tracks as well.








Using my indigo color (dark blue gray) I added some darker detail where boards crossed or had one on top of the other or on the sides of the rails or under things. Shadows are always their darkest right under the thing that is casting the shadow, use that to your advantage.




Still using the indigo I suggested roof tiles making little short, choppy strokes. I also added the cables that pull up the window awnings and lined the window frames. If you want you can add the Ave C to the tower but please look at the photo first to see placement.




Overall, I am pleased with what I did with this painting. Is it something I will have a steady diet of? No, but I learned a lot and the whole point of this lesson is to not be afraid to take chances and experiment and that is what you as an artist need to understand: No one dies because something didn't work out and you never know, you might end up doing something you really like.

I am done with this project and if you are as well, you will need to bring something of your own to work on, we have about 3 weeks until class ends, not enough time to do a second project but enough time for you to get started on your own.

Keep painting and I will see you in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment