Friday, April 27, 2018

Spring 2018 Pastel Class

Spring 2018 Pastel Project: Magnolia Week 3

This is the final class for the Magnolia where I did detail and added final highlights.

In the lightest parts of the petals I added white this time, lightly blending into the darker colors. along edges I used a corner of the white and left it alone. I really didn't do too much blending at this stage to keep the white looking clean.


The center I used light orange, a very light yellow and a deep crimson for the stamens a light green and a dark green for the center cone.

I like to add "bug bites" to my plant paintings, for this painting I used a gold for the dying part and a sienna for the dead part of the bug bite.

On the branches I used a light gold color for the final highlights on the branches and the sunny part of the buds. I lightly smudges the branch behind to throw it out of focus.






On the upper parts of the branches I didn't use as much of the light gold and I lightly smudged the edges of everything to give an out of focus look to the area. The soft look will direct the viewer to the flower.




By lightly smudging selected ares of the branch while leaving other areas around the flower crisp, it gives a 3D effect to the painting.












This is how I finished up the magnolia in class. Because not everyone is where I am, I am not going to start any other class projects this semester but I will be working on things in class and helping you with your projects so keep painting and I will see you in class.





No comments:

Post a Comment