Saturday, April 27, 2019

Spring 2019 Pastel Class

Pastel Project: Pink Umbrella Week 4 Final

In the last class, I finished up my version of Pink Umbrella working mostly in the foreground adding flowers and the woman.

I was using - where I could - my softest and brightest colors for the flowers. I did have to go over the yellow several times to get the right brightness and used a couple different chalks to find a softest, I was also looking to find places that were dark to add the brighter colors over some of those areas. It is always a good move to use contrast (light against dark) to bring impact to your painting. I used a light warm tan color to add the suggestion of rocks and pebbles into the dirt path areas as well. I left these strokes alone, I didn't blend the flowers.

As you can see in this close-up of the woman, there is no real detail, just suggestions. I used white for the sunlit parts of her dress, a very light lavender blue and indigo for light shadows and deeper shadows, respectively, I also used the indigo for her hair color as well. 

The umbrella and purse were 2 colors of a cool pink almost to the purple side and white to make it softer. The hat was the warm tan I used above and indigo for the ribbon around it.

Her face and hand holding the umbrella is a soft cool brown the sunlit had is the warm tan and cool brown blended together.

I did some light blending with my color shaper on the dress, hat, umbrella and purse.

Notice how I created the distance between the woman and the background using softer, grayer colors and soft edges in the background and used brighter more colorful colors with detail in the foreground that almost give a 3D aspect to the painting.

This is the final week I will be working on this painting, I have fun doing it. Keep painting and I will see you in class.

Pink Umbrella

No comments:

Post a Comment