Saturday, July 27, 2019

Summer 2019 Pastel

Project: Apple Turnover Revised Week 4

We only have a couple more weeks to work on our project but the pace does start to pick up from here as we get into detail. If you aren't at this point yet, please try to work on your's at home so you aren't too far behind.

This week I stared on the detail of the basket. Be sure that you have your reference photo where you can refer to it often because it is the best source of information to finish this up.  I used 3 different values of the light tan, if you don't have a very light tan you may need to ad white to what you have and lightly blend. There is a medium tan color and a darker, more orange tan color as well as the indigo blue that I use for the shadows.

The orange tan can be used on the inside of the basket and in some of the outside shadow areas again, look at the reference photo BEFORE you start adding color.

Really LOOK at the basket weave BEFORE you start adding color. The reeds or straw that is used has a shape as it is woven around the basket. Some appear as lazy "s's" others as "U's" on their side. Your chalk marks need to mimic these shapes to make your basket believable. It is important to remember that all of your marks are just quick shapes be they highlights or shadows, it is okay to start out slowly as you make these marks just don't labor over them. I lightly blended with a color shaper to soften transitions between colors and shapes but tried to leave as much untouched as possible at this point.

Once I had the basket pretty much under way, I started on the apples. I wanted to shape them a bit better, clean up edges, reinforce dark areas and start adding some lighter colors.

For the red apples, I used the dark cool red, the medium and lighter reds I used last time as well as the indigo but I also added a light orange color to start on highlights. The green apples were the same greens (dark, medium and med. light) plus the indigo but to make them lighter still I added a light yellow. Again I was getting my shapes better, making some a bit bigger, cleaning up edges but I did blend in most cases.

Last but not least, I started working a little on the table. I added more colors like light green, light blue, some light gold, any of my lighter colors but I did not blend these colors. I used my indigo to suggest the divisions between the slats of the table and started a bit of the detail, I will do more in our next class.

This is where I left off in class, if left to my own devises, I could probably finish this up in our next class but I don't want to lose you so it may take an extra week for the class. Be prepared to work, keep painting and I will see you in class.


No comments:

Post a Comment