Saturday, August 10, 2019

Summer 2019 Pastel class

Project: Apple Turnover Revised Week 6

Last time I mentioned that I had a couple things I wanted to do before calling my painting finished so here they are. First, I wanted to bring some of the background leaves down behind the table so it would look more natural. As you can see the previous image from last week the leaves look like they are avoiding the table in a nice little semi-circle around the corner of the table, on the left, a few extra leaves and problem solved.

I also wanted to add a couple more leaves to some of the apples but only did one. By adding a leaf to the apple on the left side and overlapping the basket, I tie the apple to the basket visually as well as create a better sense of depth, the leaf pushes the basked back just a bit.



Finished project for now. I do like to live with a painting for a while just to be sure that when I can look at it with fresh eyes nothing jumps out at me but overall, right now I am satisfied with the outcome.





Because what I had to do took all of 5 minutes - if that - I did a demo on how to create your own sanded paper by using the Ground for Pastel by Golden. There may be other manufactures with their own product but I use Golden.

It is a simple procedure and takes a bit of time, but in the long run you can save money and have more versatility - in my opinion - than constantly using manufactured sanded paper.

I do want to say, that this is my opinion regarding, not just making the sanded paper but also, using sanded paper. Every artist has their preferences and it is up to you as an artist to explore your options and find out what works for you. I had used regular pastel paper for many years and was satisfied with the results but once I used the sanded paper I was hooked, mostly because I didn't like having to spray it with workable fixative all the time. Again, this is your preference.

The first thing I did, and this is something I just recently learned from attending a Pastel Society meeting, was to mount the paper to a support, in this case some foam core presentation board that I got at the local drug store (you can also find it at office supply stores and art stores, just be careful that the sheets are not near the party stuff with all the glitter or you will never get rid of it). You can use any kind of paper you want, from pastel paper to watercolor paper to mat board to whatever is handy, I was using Bristol paper because it is a heavy paper as well as having a smooth surface.

I cut the foam core down to a size that was a bit larger than my paper then I used and archival spray glue (Scotch Supper 77 but there are other spray glues that will work as well) to mount the paper to the foam core. Smooth it down well so that there is good adhesion between paper and board and to be safe, let it dry for a few minutes. I was rushed to get the demo done before people had to leave but would have let it dry for several minutes otherwise.

Next, I mixed up a combination of the Ground for Pastel and water. I usually use about a 3 to 1 ratio (3 water to 1 ground), this is an approximate measure, you want a thin slurry of the ground. This will give you a smoother surface and you can go over it a second or third time if you need more texture. Yes, you can use it right out of the jar but you will get brush strokes showing, which is okay if that is the look you are going for.

I was using a flat bristle brush that you would use in oils or acrylics but I have used softer brushes when I am doing this at home. The key is to use a big brush so it will go on quickly and smoothly. I try to first get some of the slurry on the paper then with lighter pressure on the brush, spread and smooth out the ground while it is still wet. This will help prevent lumps and missed areas as well as giving you a smooth surface. Let it dry.

When it has dried, feel the surface to be sure that you have an even coat of ground and if it feels like it has enough "tooth". If it feels like it needs more, repeat the above. 

This ground will go onto almost any surface that it will stick to so feel free to experiment once you get the hang of it.

We have one more class to finish up or to look ahead to new projects. Keep painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment