Sunday, October 30, 2016

Fall 2016 Pastel Class

Pastel Class Project: Pumpkins on Parade Week 2


I have gotten all my pumpkins based in and now I am starting to flesh them out. I need to avoid trying to finish one, like the blue pumpkin, because it is fun and interesting, while leaving the rest because my finished painting could look overworked in some places and under worked in others. Try to bring all parts of your painting up together.

The dust from the chalk is creating that light area in the foreground, I will deal with that later.




I added some turquoise greens to the blue part of the pumpkin and I also added more of the texture. Please notice that the texture is more like scribbles though they do follow the curve of the pumpkin.

The stem was based in using a light gray and a medium gray.






 With the base color for the other pumpkins in I then went into deepening the shadows and defining the shapes better. The details will come later, worry more about shapes and angles at this point.











The same holds true for the other small pumpkins at this point: get the base color and the shadows going first, then add the detail.

Note that the foreground pumpkin is a soft light yellow and the one in the back is soft greys and blues.

Each segment of the pumpkin has it's own curves and texture be sure to look before you start adding color so you know what your are painting.

I was using an indigo color for my darker shadows on my pumpkins.







I will continue on this painting, I hope that if you are following along you are having as much fun as I am. Keep painting and I will see you in class.






No comments:

Post a Comment