Saturday, November 5, 2016

Fall 2016 Pastel Class Week 7

Fall 2016 Pastel Class Project: Pumpkins on Parade Week 3

Now that I have my pumpkins based in and my light and shadows established, this week I started on detail.











I worked to get the small orange pumpkin a bit more in the shadow and I added the stem using an indigo for the dark and a medium turquoises for the lighter part.

On the fairy pumpkin I added the stem and shadows (the  indigo) and for the stripes I used two oranges a light yellow orange for the parts of the stripes in the light and a deep red orange for the stripes in the shadows. Same with the dots. I lightly blended but not too much.

On the little white pumpkin I was using my light gray chalks for light areas to my indigo for the darker shadows, blending and adding colors when I needed them.

I got started on the other fairly pumpkin which is handled the same as to one on the other side, it is just lighter in color.





On the large orange pumpkin I made the shadows from the blue pumpkin larger but please notice that it is not a nice smooth rounded arch, it is very ragged as it goes over the bumps and dips on the pumpkin's surface. Shadows must follow the texture of the surface they are falling on if they are to look normal.

I looked at my photo for lights and darks, changes in color, changes in direction, anything I thought would make it look alive.

I didn't do much on the blue pumpkin because I wanted to get the other pumpkins up to the same level. I am hoping that next week I can finish up the detail on all the pumpkins so I can do the background and finish this up.

Keep painting and I will see you all in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment